Wayzata Public Schools (WPS)
WPS is a vibrant and caring community of teachers and students. We are located in the Twin Cities’ western suburbs. We encompass 38 square miles of both country and lakeside communities. To include, the unique and wonderful educational journey of each of all students. We do everything we can to help them embrace and nurture the possibilities. Discover why we are considered one of the best school districts in the country!
To conclude, we understand how great teaching, personalized learning and technological advancements come together. All to create a dynamic learning environment. We welcome your engagement in our schools and look forward to supporting your student on their unique and wonderful educational journey.
In Wayzata, we celebrate our rich history of excellence, but we never take it for granted. We honor our past, while celebrating the possibilities that we couldn’t have imagined even a few short years ago. Individualized learning, technological advancements, great teaching, academics, athletics and activities all come together to create a dynamic learning environment that prepares our students to thrive and excel not only in school, but in life.
Above all, our vision is to ensure each and every one of our students receives an great education. This is to be sure they can thrive today and excel tomorrow. An established curriculum review process and cycle fosters a continuous improvement model. Certainly involving community members who serve on our advisory committee.
Wayzata Public Schools is a vibrant, caring community of teachers and students located in the Twin Cities’ western suburbs. Extending from the north shore of Lake Minnetonka, we encompass 38 square miles of beautiful countryside, lakeside communities and growing suburbs.
Each of our students is on a unique and wonderful educational journey – and we do everything we can to help them embrace and nurture the possibilities.
Discover why we are considered one of the best school districts in the country!
Our students and staff are routinely recognized for excellent academic achievement. Here are some of the measures of success.
- ACT scores routinely exceed state and national averages.
- MCA results are among the highest in state.
- Each year, high numbers of Wayzata High School students are honored by the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- Since 1982, five elementary schools, two middle schools, Wayzata West Junior High School (1990-1991) and Wayzata Senior High School (1988-1989) have been named National Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Elementary, middle and high school students regularly receive recognition and top honors in academic, co-curricular and extracurricular activities.
We are privileged to have outstanding support from our community.
- Residents of our district support referendum levies.
- School volunteerism is high with hundreds of parent and community volunteers in our schools every day to assist students and staff.
- Parents and community residents willingly share their expertise on district committees and advisory councils that provide solid advice to guide the operations of the district.
- Numerous school parent organizations and booster groups directly support each district school and many co-curricular and extracurricular programs.
- Wayzata Education Fund and area businesses provide financial support for student and staff activities.
Our teachers are among the most talented, enthusiastic and motivated professionals in the nation. Here are some of the things we do to both attract and retain great teachers:
- Provide regular professional development opportunities to help them stay in tune with the most effective teaching strategies
- Invest in technology, providing all teachers with computers and other technology tools to pique the learning interests of students
- Offer an alternative compensation program that provides teachers with ongoing professional development through peer coaching, courses and study groups
- Implement the professional learning communities model at all district schools, providing teachers with the time and structure to work together to review data and plan teaching strategies to provide more personalized learning to students
We offer a variety of programs and services that meet the needs of all students. Here are just a few examples:
- Special education services to meet the unique challenges of students with special needs from birth through age 21
- Title I-funded reading and math support for elementary school students
- English Learner services to help students attain English proficiency
- 504 plans to accommodate students with diagnosed medical conditions identified to be a disability
- Gifted & talented services for high-achieving students
- Instructional technology that allows teachers to regularly assess student learning and adjust teaching strategies to best meet the needs of students
- A wide variety of courses to appeal to the diverse interests and learning styles of our high school students
- High academic standards at all levels
- We are the only Minnesota school district with a AAA bond rating from Standard and Poor’s, which is evidence of strong financial health.
- Since 2008, we have consistently maintained a Aaa rating from Moody’s Investor Services.
- Every year since 1990, we have received the Association of School Business Officials International Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting – evidence to the district’s commitment to transparent reporting of district finances.
- Our Citizens Finance Advisory Committee helps to guide the district’s financial decisions.
Welcome to Wayzata Public Schools! I am delighted to welcome you to a school community that embraces each and every student.
In Wayzata, we understand how great teaching, personalized learning and technological advancements come together to create a dynamic learning environment. We welcome your engagement in our schools and look forward to supporting your student on their unique and wonderful educational journey.
As superintendent, it is my responsibility to provide strategic leadership to bring our district’s vision, mission and strategic directions to life. This includes providing professional support and advice to the Wayzata School Board.
I’m fortunate to have been given the opportunity to serve as superintendent in Wayzata since July 2008. I have a passion for lifelong learning and am an avid reader. My wife and I live in the district and are the proud parents of two Wayzata High School graduates.
Prior to Wayzata, I served as assistant superintendent and building administrator for Edina Public Schools. I have held numerous education positions including building principal at the pre-K, elementary, middle and high school levels and teacher and coach in Minnesota and Nebraska.
I hold a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Minnesota (Minneapolis); an M.S. degree in Secondary School Administration from the University of Nebraska Omaha; and a B.A. degree from the University of Northern Iowa (Cedar Falls).
Contact our district Welcome Center to learn more about our schools and schedule a tour!